Bioremediation of drilling Oil-Based mud wastes
- Remediation of liquid and solid oil contaminated wastes, by using oil-degrading bacteria.
- Isolation and molecular identification of indigenous oil-degrading bacteria
Characteristics of oil degrading bacteria:
- Degrading the hydrocarbon compounds
- Utilizing hydrocarbones as a source of carbon and energy
- Producing carbon dioxide gas and the cell biomass during biodegradation processes
- Having environmentally safe products
- Using as biological fertilizers to improve soil.
Theses bacteria are used in three phases:
-Liquid waste treatment
-Solid waste treatment
-Phytoremediation phase using resistant plants suitable for planting in the amended soil.
Overall achievements in one project were:
- Recovering 727 barrels of pure oil by physical method
- Clean-up of 894 barrels of oil contaminated liquid waste and
9451 cubic meters of polluted sludge and solid wastes by biological method, - Planting of 188 tree seedlings in soil obtained from bioremediation.